Craving a frozen treat but don’t want the guilt? If you’re looking for a delicious, healthier alternative to traditional ice cream, look no further than banana ice cream! It’s creamy, flavorful, and surprisingly simple to make. It is made with wholesome ingredients like bananas and nut milk and requires little to no added sweeteners or processed sugars for an unbeatable homemade dessert.
Is Banana Ice Cream Better for You Than Regular Ice Cream?
Ice cream is a staple summer treat. Banana ice cream is a great healthy option for you and your children. It is a healthier alternative to traditional dairy ice cream because it contains less sugar and more fiber.
Should I Use A Food Processor or A Blender?
Food Processor Vs. Blender: We’ve discovered that a food processor works best for this, as it allows the banana to become fully creamy and aerated. If you are making it in a blender, make sure your blender has enough power to process the frozen bananas.
Other Flavors of Banana Ice Cream
Peanut Butter: Before blending, add 2-3 tablespoons peanut butter or another nut butter or allergy-friendly alternative.
Chocolate and Banana: Use three bananas. Mix in ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder.
Mint Chocolate Chip: 2 bananas and a pinch of salt are required. After blending, add ⅛ teaspoon pure peppermint extract (or more if desired), and stir in chocolate chips or cacao nibs. To add color and extra nutrients, add a pinch of spirulina or a small handful spinach.
Nutella Nice Cream: Combine the bananas with a generous spoonful of Homemade Nutella or your favorite chocolate hazelnut spread.
Cookies’n Cream: Follow the original recipe below, but add 2 tablespoons coconut butter if desired. Add a crushed Oreo cookie sandwich after blending.
More Dessert Recipes
Banana Ice Cream
- 4 cups half and half cream
- 2½ cups sugar
- pinch salt
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1(5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups ripe bananas mashed
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, add half-and-half over medium-low heat andcook until just warmed.
- Add in the sugar and salt and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring continuouslywith a wire whisk.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and beat lightly.
- Add a small amount of hot cream mixture into eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture into the pan with remaining cream mixture and cook untilmixture becomes thick, stirring continuously.
- Remove the pan of custard from heat and immediately placing in a bowl of ice water.
- With a wire whisk, the custard stir for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from ice bath and transfer the mixture into a large glass bowl.
- Add the whipping cream, evaporated milk and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Place a plastic wrap on the surface of custard and gently press down.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bowl of custard from refrigerate and stir in the mashed bananas.
- Transfer the mixture into an ice cream makerand process according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Now, transfer into an airtight container andfreeze to set for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply