Tamales are a must-have dish for Mexican picnics and parties and are equally popular in other European countries.B
eing one of the most favorite food, you often make it in a large amount. Then storing them
perfectly becomes your top concern.
Also, you start wondering how long Tamales last.
Here we are going to guide you about the best storage tips for Tamales and how long so
So, let’s dive in.
What are Tamales?
Tamale is a very portable meal; you can carry it very easily anywhere, that’s why it is a trendy
food for parties and picnics.
Tamales are formed when corn dough is wrapped in a banana leaf or corn husk. You can add
beans, meat, cheese, or vegetables to it.
Being a customizable food, they are equally perfect for vegetarians and non-vegetarians. They
are consumed worldwide, especially in America, but it is most prevalent in Mexico.
We know you love to eat Tamales and make them in large quantities. That’s why here we have
discussed the best tips and methods to store your favorite food in the perfect way.
How Long Do Wrapped Tamales last?
If you wrap Tamales in a plastic or silver wrapper, they will remain fresh for 1 to 2 hours. How
long Tamales last also depends on whether they are cooked or uncooked.
· Cooked Tamales last for about 2 to 3 hours at room temperature.
· Uncooked Tamales last for less than 1 hour at room temperature.
Moreover, the life of Tamales also depends on the temperature.
· They can last for a short time if the temperature is high.
· But if the temperature is low, they last for quite a long time.
f Tamales are left on the shelf without proper storage, bacteria start breeding in them.
Especially if Tamales are uncooked, they become a happy place for bacteria, and bacteria begin
potentially generating in them.
So, it’s better to store them in a refrigerator or freezer instead of on a shelf. Now, let us brief you
on how much refrigerator and freezer life Tamales have.
How Long do Tamales Last in a Refrigerator?
Suppose you keep Tamales in a refrigerator or fridge. In that case, they will remain fresh for
seven days if properly stored in an airtight jar. If you don’t store them properly, they may last for
4 to 5 days.
How Long do Tamales Last in a Freezer?
If stored with the proper techniques, tamales last for more than six months in a freezer. While
storing in a freezer, you must consider all the hygienic measures and cover them completely to
avoid bacterial growth.
Tips to Store Tamales in Fridge
Before storing Tamales in a fridge, follow these tips to keep them fresh and healthy:
● Let the Tamales cool down to room temperature.
● Get an airtight container large enough to accommodate Tamales without squashing them.
Now put the Tamales one by one into the container.
● If you don’t have an airtight jar, you can use any container with a cap to store them. In this
case, you need to fully cover the Tamales with aluminum food foil or any plastic sheet because it
keeps your food away from moisture.
● Tuck down the sheet from all four sides to cover them thoroughly.
● If your container is big, you can add another layer of Tamales by repeating the same process
as the first layer.
● When your container gets filled, wrap another layer of the sheet over it and gently press it.
Now put the lid on the container and seal it.
● Take a masking tape and write the name and date of the food on it. Please attach it to the
container to avoid confusion about the date later on and ensure that Tamales are still fresh.
● Use within seven days. Because they will start getting spoiled after seven days.
Tips to Store Tamales in Freezer
If you want to store Tamales for six months, you can freeze them and enjoy them later. Before
storing Tamales in the freezer, these tips are going to help you with the best storage:
● Let the Tamales cool to get to room temperature.
● If your freezer is spacious, you can use a container, but if your freezer doesn’t have much
space, then take a plate or baking sheet to put them on.
● Place parchment paper on the plate you are using. This will avoid sticking Tamales to the
plate, and you will easily pull them out.
● Place Tamales on the plate and must leave a little space between each of them to avoid
sticking with each other.
● If you wrap each Tamale in a plastic cover or aluminum foil, it is extra protection for them, and
your Tamales will remain fresher and healthier.
● Place that container or plate in a freezer bag and write down the name and date of the
Tamales. By doing this, you can avoid confusion about the date later.
● Consume your Tamales within six months.
Can You Freeze Uncooked Tamales?
Yes, you can definitely freeze uncooked Tamales. In fact, uncooked Tamales freeze much better
than cooked Tamales.
How Do You Know If Tamales are Spoiled or
Seeing a change in the color of Tamales or feeling a sour taste when you eat Tamales are clear
signs that Tamales are getting spoiled.
Fruit Filled Tamales
If the filling of your Tamales is of fruits, they get spoiled very quickly. This happens because the
sugars present in the fruit fillings start fermentation when getting in touch with bacteria in the air.
Meat Filled Tamales
Meat-filled Tamales often last long because the meat used in Tamales is mostly sauced or
seasoned. So, bacterial action isn’t swift in meat-filled Tamales.
However, try to keep Tamales covered and stored in the refrigerator and freezer.
We have discussed all the best-storing methods for Tamales and how long they last in different
All we have concluded from our discussion is never keep Tamales on the shelf if you want to eat
them later because they start getting spoiled after 1 hour.
So, keep them in the refrigerator and heat them whenever you want to eat. Don’t risk your
health and apply our techniques to store Tamales in the best way.