Air fryer rutabaga fries are without a doubt the most excellent option for your low-carb fries’ fantasies!
If you are on a keto diet or trying to lose weight, rutabaga fries are your best bet because they’re low in carbs and incredibly easy to create in the air fryer.
Air fryer Rutabaga Fries takes less than 30 minutes to create and only requires 2-3 ingredients.
Serve your almost-keto Air Fryer Rutabaga fries alongside a delicious burger or as part of an ultimate appetizer tray.
In any case, I’m confident you’ll adore your new low-carb alternative to French fries!
What is Rutabaga?
Rutabaga, commonly known as Swedish turnip, is a root vegetable with a turnip-like appearance. Rutabaga, cabbage, broccoli, radish, turnip, and cauliflower are all cruciferous vegetable family members.
Is Rutabaga A Keto-Friendly Vegetable?
Rutabagas aren’t usually a “go-to” ingredient for keto because they’re starchy root vegetables. However, rutabagas have a low-calorie count, are high in vitamin C, and contain only 7 net carbohydrates per 100 grams. Not bad at all!
Are Rutabagas Healthier Than Potatoes?
Oh, definitely. Rutabagas are lower in calories and carbs, making them a better choice than potatoes, especially if you’re on a low-carb diet and attempting to lose weight.
Tips for Crispy Rutabaga Fries:
- Shake the air fryer frequently to ensure that each fry cooks evenly.
- Thinly slice the rutabaga fries. They’ll have a softer feel if you cut them into thick fries or wedges.
- Before cooking the fries, make sure they’re equally coated in cornflour and vegetable oil.
Some Seasoning Suggestions for Your Air Fryer Rutabaga Fries:
You can either add the seasoning before or after air frying the rutabaga fries.
- Salt and pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Cajun seasoning
- Peri-peri seasoning,
- BBQ dry rub or garlic powder
Air Fryer Rutabaga Fries
- 1 medium rutabaga peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- In a bowl, add the rutabaga sticks and cornstarch and toss to coat well.
- Now add the oil in bowl and again, toss to coat well.
- Grease the Air Fryer Basket with cooking spray and then slide inside.
- Adjust the temperature of Air Fryer to 356 °F to preheat for 5 minutes.
- After preheating, arrange the rutabaga sticks into the greased Air Fryer Basket in a single layer.
- Slide the basket into Air Fryer and set the time for 18-22 minutes.
- While cooking, shake the basket after every 3-4 minutes.
- After cooking time is finished, remove the rutabaga fries from Air Fryer and serve hot.