Making some appetizers out of seafood is quite tricky, especially when dealing with seafood other than fish, as you might not be familiar with it or the cooking process.
But this air fryer coconut shrimp recipe will help you make some delicious and quick appetizers out of shrimps. Seafood lovers can eat them all day long as they are very delicious.
What Treatment Should be Given to Shrimps for Making Air Fryer Coconut Shrimps?
First of all, the shrimps you have taken must be enormous. Then remove their shell. There is a central vein that runs throughout the body of a shrimp; you have to remove it too. After removing the shell, if you feel the shrimps are extra moist, then tap dry them with a paper towel to avoid dampness when cooking them.
Can Frozen Shrimps Be Used to Make This Tasty Appetizer?
No, frozen shrimps are not suitable for this recipe as the coat of spices and seasoning will not be done perfectly over them. So, you have to use fresh shrimps or thaw them before making this appetizer. To thaw them, you can keep them in the fridge instead of the freezer for a night. If you need them in an emergency, then the best way to thaw them is to place their packet in a bowl of fresh water and wait for a few minutes until they get thawed.
How to Coat the Shrimp for Making Coconut Shrimps?
Take a shallow bowl and mix shrimps with salt, pepper, and any other spices of your choice. Then dip them in a bowl of beaten eggs. After that, you have to cover them with breadcrumbs and shredded coconut. Ensure that the coconut is shredded finely, and no big pieces are present in it. Also, I prefer to use unsweetened coconut not to affect the spices’ taste.
More Appetizer Recipes
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut shredded
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour, salt and black pepper.
- In a second shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
- In a third shallow bowl, mix together the coconut and breadcrumbs.
- Coat the shrimp with flour mixture, then dip into beaten eggs and finally coat with breadcrumb mixture.
- Grease the Air Fryer Basket with cooking spray and then slide inside.
- Adjust the temperature of Air Fryer to 360 °F to preheat for 5 minutes.
- After preheating, arrange the shrimp into the greased Air Fryer Basket in a single layer.
- Slide the basket into Air Fryer and set the time for 10-12 minutes.
- While cooking, flip the shrimp once halfway through.
- After cooking time is finished, remove the shrimp from Air Fryer and serve.