Pulled pork is a must-have for special occasions. It is undoubtedly one of your favorite meat. You will see it everywhere you go as a staple diet in the US.
When you continuously try a lot of pulled pork dishes and store the leftovers of your meals, you get much more concerned about its safety.
Are you too wondering about a question: can you eat pulled pork cold? Then the answer is yes, you can absolutely eat pulled pork cold, but in some conditions, you can’t eat it cold.
Here we are going to discuss your doubt in detail to make this query clear to you from all aspects.
- Air Fryer Pulled Pork
- Is it Safe to Eat Pulled Pork Cold?
- Why Can’t You Eat Undercooked Pulled Pork?
- At How Much Heat Should Pulled Pork be Cooked?
- What Happens When You Eat Raw Pulled Pork?
- Things You Need to Know Before Eating Pulled Pork Cold:
- Best Method to Store Pulled Pork in Fridge
- How Long Does Pulled Pork Remain Fresh in The Refrigerator?
- Best Method to Store Pulled Pork in Freezer
- How to Check Spoiled Pulled Pork?
- Can You Reheat Pulled Pork?
- Final Verdict
Air Fryer Pulled Pork
Is it Safe to Eat Pulled Pork Cold?
Yes, it is safe to eat pulled pork cold only when it is thoroughly cooked. If it is half-cooked or uncooked, then never eat it cold, as it leads to numerous health problems and diseases. Do you know why? Let’s find this answer.
Why Can’t You Eat Undercooked Pulled Pork?
You can’t eat undercooked or half-cooked pork because it comes from pig’s meat which is home to numerous bacteria and parasites. Trichinella and spirals are the parasites that enter your body and flourish there. This makes you extremely sick with gastric problems. So, never consume raw pork meat or undercooked pork.
At How Much Heat Should Pulled Pork be Cooked?
Pulled pork should be cooked or reheated at 325 degrees Fahrenheit or 162 degrees Celsius. Make sure that you are cooking it thoroughly to avoid any reddish meat.
What Happens When You Eat Raw Pulled Pork?
When you eat raw pulled pork, then you end up with food poisoning and various gastrointestinal infections. You will face:
Fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, digestive problems, and other complications.
Things You Need to Know Before Eating Pulled Pork Cold:
If you are too lazy to heat or cook your pulled pork and sometimes you eat it cold, then here are the things you must know:
Pulled Pork Should Be Thoroughly Cooked
Make sure before eating that pulled pork is thoroughly cooked. You can make it in the oven, in the pressure cooker or using the air fryer.
Undercooked pulled pork contains bacteria and parasites that will cause many gastric infections.
Don’t Include it in Your Daily Diet
It is alright to eat cold pulled pork once in a while. But when you make it your regular habit, it leads to many other complications. It is better to heat it or cook it before eating.
Pulled Pork Should Be Stored Properly
If you want to eat cooked pulled pork cold, then make sure you have stored it properly. Your storage should be hygienic to keep your pulled pork fresh, healthy, and ready to eat in cold form.
If you don’t know how to freeze pulled pork, we have the best method and tips for storing pulled pork in the fridge and freezer.
Best Method to Store Pulled Pork in Fridge
When you are consuming a lot of pork meat, then it is a must for you to know the best method to store pulled pork in a fridge.
Here is a detailed step-by-step guide on storing pork in the fridge:
- Take a food container. Wash and dry it thoroughly. This makes it hygienic.
- Put the pieces of pulled pork in the container in rows. If the container is big, you can place more rows of pork over them.
- Seal the container with an air-tight lid. If you don’t have an air-tight container, you can also cover it with a plastic sheet or aluminum foil.
- Place the plastic tape on the container and write the item name and date on it to avoid confusion about the future date.
- Now put that container in the refrigerator and use it whenever you want.
How Long Does Pulled Pork Remain Fresh in The Refrigerator?
Pulled pork remains fresh for five days in the refrigerator. After that, it starts getting spoiled, and you can get an infection after eating it. So, consume the pork within five days of storing it in the refrigerator.
If you have bought pulled pork in massive amounts or don’t want to use it within five days, you can store the rest of the pork in the freezer.
Best Method to Store Pulled Pork in Freezer
You can extend the storage life of pulled pork by putting it in the freezer. Here we are going to guide you on the best method to store pulled pork in the freezer.
- Let the pulled pork cool to room temperature before starting the freezing process.
- Once it attains room temperature, take an air-tight container or a freezing bag and clean it thoroughly.
- Put the pork into it in rows and make sure to leave ample spaces between each piece. Because when pork freezes, it expands and takes up more space than before.
- Seal the container with an air-tight lid. If you don’t have an air-tight lid, then you can wrap the container or freezing bag with a layer of plastic sheet. This keeps pork fresh for months and prevents freezer odor.
- Now put tape on your container and write the ingredients and date on it. This prevents any confusion about the storage date in the future.
- Now place the container or freezer bag in the freezer and use it within six months. Because after six months, it gets spoiled.
How to Check Spoiled Pulled Pork?
Spoiled pulled pork is checked by its smell mostly. A slice of unspoiled pork smells normal and pleasant. On the other hand, you will feel a strong odor when you smell spoiled pork. Spoiled odor is unpleasant and ammonia type, and you can easily recognize it.
Can You Reheat Pulled Pork?
Yes, you can reheat pulled pork. For reheating, you can cook it in a pan or heat it in a microwave oven for 2 minutes.
Eating pulled pork cold is totally fine if cooked properly, but don’t make it your regular habit. For consuming cold pulled pork, you must know how to store pork meat in the best hygienic way. We recommend you always heat or cook the pork before eating as heating kills many bacteria in the pork and keeps you healthy.