Nothing says comfort food like a big, bubbling pot of chicken in cranberry sauce. Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or a new spin on traditional holiday favorites, this dish is sure to please.
From the rich sweetness of the cranberries to the buttery flavor of chicken, every bite will be packed with flavor that your whole family – and guests! – will love. So get out your skillet and let’s get cooking up something special!
What Is the Best Cut of Chicken to Use for This Dish?
Chicken breasts are the best cut of chicken to use for this dish, as they are tender, juicy, and easy to cook. You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a healthier option or bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts for a richer flavor.
Can I Use Frozen Cranberries for The Sauce?
Fresh cranberries are ideal for making cranberry sauce as they have a tart and tangy flavor that complements the sweetness of the chicken. However, you can also use frozen cranberries. Simply thaw them before cooking and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Tips for Making Delicious Chicken in Cranberry Sauce:
Season the Chicken Well: Season the chicken with salt and pepper before cooking to add flavor and depth to the dish.
Sear the Chicken: Searing the chicken before cooking it in the sauce gives it a beautiful golden crust and locks in moisture. This step also adds flavor to the dish.
Make the Sauce Ahead Of Time: Making the cranberry sauce ahead of time will save you time cooking the chicken.
Adjust the Sweetness: Depending on your taste preference, you can adjust the sweetness of the cranberry sauce by adding more or less sugar or honey.
Add Orange Zest: Adding some orange zest to the cranberry sauce will give it a fresh and citrusy flavor that complements the sweetness of the sauce.
Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Garnish the dish with some fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme, or rosemary to add color and flavor.
Serve with A Side Dish: Chicken in cranberry sauce pairs well with side dishes such as rice, mashed potatoes, or roasted vegetables.
More Poultry Recipes
Chicken in Cranberry Sauce
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1(8-ounce) bottleRussian-style salad dressing
- 1(16-ounce) can cranberry sauce
- 1 package dryonion soup mix
- 6(5-6-ounce) chicken thighs
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a large-sized bowl, blend together all ingredientsexcept for the thighs.
- Add thighs and coat with sauce mixture generously.
- Place the chicken thighs mixture into the prepared bakingdish and then arrange them in a single layer.
- Cover the baking dish and bake for approximately 1½hours.
- Uncover the baking dish and bake for approximately 15minutes.
- Serve hot.