Have you ever looked at a restaurant menu and wondered what chicken in fig sauce could possibly taste like? Well, wonder no more! In this post, I’m going to take you through the process of making this delicious dish with step-by-step instructions so that you can enjoy it right in your own home.
So if you’ve been longing to sample this tasty specialty and learn how to create it yourself – now’s your chance! Let’s get cooking and make some flavorful chicken in fig sauce!
What Is Chicken in Fig Sauce?
Chicken in fig sauce is a savory and sweet dish that combines tender chicken breast with a rich and flavorful fig sauce.
What Are Some Variations of This Dish?
You can add different herbs and spices to the sauce to change the flavor profile. For example, add rosemary, sage, or cinnamon for a different flavor twist. You can also use different types of wine, such as white wine or port, to add a richer flavor. Additionally, you can add other ingredients to the sauce, such as mushrooms or caramelized onions, to add more depth and texture to the dish.
Top Tips for Making Delicious Chicken in Fig Sauce:
- Soak dried figs in hot water or wine for a few minutes to soften them and plump them up.
- Searing the chicken before adding the sauce will help create a nice crispy skin and will also seal in the juices.
- A good quality red wine will add depth and complexity to the sauce. Choose a wine that you would also enjoy drinking on its own.
- Figs can be quite tart, so adding honey or another sweetener to the sauce can help balance the flavors.
- A sprinkle of fresh herbs, such as thyme or rosemary, can add a nice finishing touch and a pop of color to the dish.
- Serve with a side dish: Chicken in fig sauce pairs well with sides such as rice, mashed potatoes, or roasted vegetables.
More Poultry Recipes
Chicken in Fig Sauce
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1½ tbsp fresh thyme chopped and divided
- ½ tsp salt divded
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup dried figs chopped finely
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup balsamic broth
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- In a small-sized bowl, add 1½ teaspoons ofthyme, ¼ teaspoon of salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Season the chicken breast halves with thethyme mixture evenly.
- In a large-sized cast-iron wok, heat 1tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- In the wok, place the chicken breasts, skinside down and cook for about 5-6 minutes per side.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the cookedchicken breasts onto a plate.
- With a piece of foil, cover them to keepwarm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of the oil in thesame wok over medium heat and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the figs, broth, vinegar, soy sauceand sugar and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining thyme and salt andremove from the heat.
- Cut the chicken breast halves into slicesdiagonally.
- Serve the chicken with the topping of figsauce.