Get ready to indulge in a sweet treat that will transport you straight to Eastern Europe with every bite. Kolachy Cookies, also known as kolachky, are traditional Czech pastries that are soft, buttery, and filled with a variety of sweet fillings that will melt in your mouth. These cookies are perfect for any occasion and make for a delicious and elegant addition to your dessert table. They are not only delicious but also easy to make with simple and accessible ingredients.
What are some different fillings that can be used for this recipe?
Some popular fillings include cream cheese, fruit preserves, Nutella, poppy seed filling, or sweetened cottage cheese.
What health benefits this recipe provides?
Kolachy Cookies are a source of carbohydrates and protein from flour and eggs. However, they are also high in sugar and fat, so it’s best to enjoy them in moderation. It’s also good to be aware of the fillings you choose as they may contain high levels of sugar or saturated fats.
You can store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
- Make sure that the dough is chilled before rolling it out.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out the dough circles to ensure that the cookies are all the same size.
- When filling the cookies, be sure not to overfill them, as this will cause the edges to not seal properly.
- For an added touch of sweetness, you can brush the cookies with an egg wash before baking.
Kolachy Cookies are traditionally made with a sweet cream cheese filling, but you can also use other fillings, such as fruit preserves or Nutella, for a different twist on the traditional recipe.
More Dessert Recipes
- 4 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 6 tbsp raspberry jam
- 1 tsp confectioner'ssugar
- In a bowl, add the butter and cream cheese and whisk untilslightly fluffy.
- Slowly,add the flour and mix until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- With cling wrap, over the dough and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Line a large cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Lace the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into ¼-inch thickness.
- Then cut the dough in 2½-inch squares.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of jam in the center of each dough square.
- Carefully fold overthe opposite cornersof dough.
- With wet finger, press the corners together to seal.
- Place the cookies onto theprepared cookie sheet about2-inch apert.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheet from oven and placeonto a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Then invert the cookies onto the wire rack tocool beforeserving.