Look no farther than these air fryer empanadas to wow your guests at your next potluck.
The freshly cooked beef picadillo filling gives them a lot of flavors, and frying them in an air fryer makes the pastry very crispy.
Without the added grease or the effort of frying in hot oil, the pastry will blister and puff like deep-fried empanadas.
A Little History About Empanadas:
Empanadas are savory snacks that have their origins in Spain. Most people now identify them with Latin American cuisine, and they’re a popular street dish in locations where the Hispanic population is considerable.
Empanadas are a type of Latin American pastry wrapped around a tasty filling before being deep-fried to crispy, crunchy perfection. The dough for empanadas is similar to pie crust, although it is less flaky and more delicate.
What are Air Fryer Empanadas?
The empanadas are the crispiest snacks made with puff pastry wrapped around finely seasoned ground beef and baked in an air fryer. These delectable nibbles, ideal for on-the-go snacking or as an appetizer, take just under an hour to prepare.
How Can I Store Leftover Empanadas?
Empanadas can be preserved in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if kept in an airtight container. Simply reheat in the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes until well hot.
Is It Possible to Freeze Air Fryer Empanadas?
Sure! Wrap the empanadas in plastic wrap and store them in a Ziploc container in the freezer for up to 5-6 months after cooking them.
More Snack Recipes
Air Fryer Empanadas (from scratch)
- 10 frozen empanada discos, thawed These simple air fryer empanadas are delicious for lunch, supper, or as an appetizer, and they're easy to make. Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa Fresca on the side for dipping.
- 1 ¼ cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Arrange an empanada disco onto a smooth surface.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken onto the disk.
- Fold the dough into a half-circle and pinch the edges.
- Then with a fork crimp the edges.
- Repeat with remaining empanada discos and chicken.
- Grease the Air Fryer Basket with cooking spray and then slide inside.
- Adjust the temperature of Air Fryer to 330 °F to preheat for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water.
- Brush the empanadas with egg mixture.
- After preheating, arrange the empanadas into the greased Air Fryer Basket in a single layer.
- Slide the basket into Air Fryer and set the time for 8-10 minutes.
- After cooking time is finished, remove the empanadas from Air Fryer and serve.