When it comes to comfort food, casseroles are a go-to for many families. And this chicken, olives, and tomato casserole is no exception. Packed with flavor and nutrients, this hearty dish is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a potluck with friends.
The combination of tender chicken, tangy olives, and juicy tomatoes creates a winning flavor combination that is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a great option for busy weeknights. So, grab your casserole dish and let’s get cooking!
What Type of Chicken Should I Use for A Chicken, Olive, and Tomato Casserole?
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs are the best cuts of chicken to use for a casserole. They cook evenly and hold up well in the casserole.
Can I Use Canned Tomatoes for The Casserole?
Yes, you can use canned tomatoes, but fresh tomatoes will provide a brighter and fresher flavor to the dish.
Can I Use A Different Type of Olive Instead of Black Olives?
Yes, you can use any type of olive, such as green olives or Kalamata olives. Kalamata olives have a slightly salty and tangy flavor, they will work well in the recipe.
What Should I Serve with The Chicken, Olive, And Tomato Casserole?
Serve the casserole with a side of crusty bread or over a bed of rice or pasta. A fresh green salad or roasted vegetables also make a great side dish.
How Long Should I Bake the Casserole For?
Bake the casserole in a preheated 375°F oven for 10-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the top is golden brown and bubbly.
Expert Tips for This Recipe:
- While using canned tomatoes, drain the excess liquid before adding them to the casserole.
- Make sure to pit the olives before adding them to the casserole.
- Add herbs and spices to the casserole for extra flavor. Oregano, thyme, and rosemary are all great choices.
- You can also add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
- For a creamier casserole, add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt to the tomato sauce before adding the chicken and olives.
More Poultry Recipes
Chicken, Olives & Tomato Casserole
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- as required salt and ground black pepper
- 2(8-ounce) chicekn breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ cup Kalamata olives chopped finely
- ½ cup onion chopped finely
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F.
- In a bowl, add the dried herbs, salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Season the chicken with the herb mixture evenly.
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the chickenfor about 3-4 minutes per side.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken breasts onto a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the garlic, broth and lemon juice over medium heat andcook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked chicken breasts.
- Spread the olives, tomatoes and onions on top of the chicken mixture evenly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Removef rom the oven and set aside for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with the topping of feta cheese.