It’s time to bake when there are ripe bananas on the counter. I frequently make banana bread, which goes well with yogurt and fresh fruit in the mornings. But I turn to this Chocolate Banana Cake when I need a decadent and speedy weekday dessert.
I adapted this recipe from Jane Rodmell’s Best Summer Weekends Cookbook, a Canadian publication. It combines cocoa powder with the sweetness of mashed ripe bananas. Excellent on its own but even better when frosted with a silky-smooth Chocolate Ganache. Due to its capacity to serve up to 16 people, this cake would also make the ideal snack for family gatherings.
Why is this recipe great?
- Texture: A soft, moist cake with an incredibly creamy frosting.
- Flavor: Bananas and chocolate flavor!
- Use up ripped bananas: One of the most delicious ways to use extra bananas is to make banana bread. For this recipe, you’ll need about two medium-sized bananas.
- Size: This 9-inch cake is ideal for snacks or small gatherings because it is neither too big nor too small.
What other topping options do I have?
To decorate the cake, you can use chocolate shavings, sprinkles, curls, or banana slices. When you’re ready to serve it, add the banana last.
How to serve and store it?
The best way to enjoy this cake is at room temperature. However, you can store this cake for up to three days and keep it tightly covered in the refrigerator. Before serving, bring to room temperature.
More Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Banana Cake
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large ripe bananas peeled
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Arrange a rack in the middle position of oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Grease a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Ina medium bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, allspice and salt andwith a wire whisk, mix well.
- In another large bowl, add the bananas and with a fork, mash well.
- In the bowl of mashed bananas, add the butter and mix well.
- Add the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined..
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Place the mixture into the prepared pan evenly.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Remove the pan of cake from oven and place onto a wire rack for about 5-10 minutes.
- Then invert the cake onto the wire rack to cool completely before serving.
- Cut the cake into desired-sized slices and serve.