The chocolate mayonnaise cake dates back to 1956 and is a decadent chocolate cake that is moist and dense with a chocolate buttercream frosting.
You’ll quickly find that this old-fashioned chocolate cake recipe is your favorite! After making this homemade, one-bowl scratch cake, you can say goodbye to cake mixes. Promise!
The cake contains mayonnaise—why would you add that?
Putting mayo in a cake is more reasonable than you probably first assumed. It is incredibly logical. Mayonnaise is just oil and eggs, so adding it to a cake is not particularly unusual. Just be aware that, at first, it might seem strange. You won’t even find egg or oil in the required ingredients because the mayonnaise contains both. You can use three heaping teaspoons of mayonnaise in place of one egg if you ever find yourself without any eggs and need to make a cake or quick bread.
Notes about the Ingredients:
- You can use either full-fat or light mayonnaise for this recipe.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, which can be natural or Dutch-processed, gives the cake its chocolate flavor.
Expert Tips for a Perfect Cake
- The best way to make a cake is to use fresh ingredients. Baking ingredients like flour, baking soda, and even cocoa have expiration dates.
- Follow all the instructions strictly, and use real mayonnaise rather than a salad dressing blend.
Before frosting the cake, let it cool completely to avoid a runny mess.
More Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tap baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp table salt
- 1⅔ cups light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⅓ cups hot water
- 1(8-ounce) package cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extarct
- 1(32-ounce) package powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5-6 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly grease a9x13-inch sheet pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl add theflour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mixwell.
- In another bowl,add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and with an electric mixer, beaton medium-high speed until very light.
- Add the mayonnaiseand beat on low speed until combined.
- Add the flourmixture, alternately with hot water, and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Place the mixtureinto the prepared sheet pan and with a spatula, spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 30-35minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the sheetpan from the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Then invert thecake onto the wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting:in a bowl, add the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract and with anelectric mixer, beat on medium speed until creamy.
- In another bowl,add the powdered sugar and cocoa and mix well.
- Slowly, add thesugar mixture into the butter mixture alternately with cream and beat on lowspeed until well combined.
- Now, beat onmedium speed until light and fluffy.
- Spread thefrosting over the cake evenly.
- Cut the cake intodesired-sized pieces and serve.