Nothing says summer like a juicy, tender grilled spatchcock chicken. It’s the perfect way to bring classic backyard barbecue vibes to your dinner table! If you’ve never tried making this crowd-pleasing dish before, not to worry – it may sound fancy, but it’s incredibly easy and fast to prepare.
In this blog post, we’re showing you step-by-step how to make irresistible grilled spatchcock chicken that will have your family and friends licking their fingers with delight!
What is Spatchcock Chicken?
Spatchcock chicken is a technique for preparing a whole chicken for grilling or roasting. The backbone is removed and the chicken is flattened to cook more evenly and quickly.
To spatchcock a chicken, you need to remove the backbone. Using a pair of kitchen shears, cut down both sides of the backbone, then flip the chicken over and press down on the breastbone until it cracks and the chicken lays flat.
How Long Does It Take to Grill Spatchcock Chicken?
The cooking time for spatchcock chicken will depend on the size of the bird and the temperature of your grill. Generally, it takes 30-40 minutes to grill a spatchcock chicken.
What Are Some Good Seasonings for Spatchcock Chicken?
Spatchcock chicken can be seasoned with any combination of herbs and spices you like. Some popular options include garlic, lemon, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and cumin.
Can Spatchcock Chicken Be Cooked in The Oven?
Yes, spatchcock chicken can also be cooked in the oven. Preheat the oven to 425°F, place the chicken on a roasting pan or baking sheet, and roast for 45-60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Can I Marinate Spatchcock Chicken?
Yes, spatchcock chicken can be marinated before grilling or roasting to add flavor and moisture. A simple marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs works well.
More Poultry Recipes
Grilled Spatchcock Chicken
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh lemn zest grated finely
- 1 tsp dried oregano crushed
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- as required salt and ground black pepper
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken neck and giblets removed
- Preheat the grill to mediumheat.
- Grease the grill grate with cookingspray.
- In a bowl, add the butter,lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, spices, salt and black pepper and mix untilwell combined.
- Place chicken onto a largecutting board, breast side down.
- With a sharp knife, cutalong both sides of backbone and then remove the backbone.
- Now, flip the breast side ofchicken up and open it like a book.
- With the palm of your hands,firmly press the breast to flatten.
- Coat the whole chicken withthe oil mixture generously.
- Arrange the chicken onto thegrill and cook for about 16-20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Remove from the grill andplace the chicken onto a cutting board for about 5-10 minutes before carving.
- With a sharp knife, cut the chicken into desired-sized pieces and serve.