Are you a citrus lover? Then this classic dessert having tangy and sweet flavor is a must-try for you. The pie is made with a graham cracker crust, a filling made of key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks, and topped with a dollop of whipped cream. The balance of sweetness and tartness in this pie is sure to leave your taste buds dancing. The bright green color of the filling will make this pie a real showstopper on your dinner table. Perfect for any occasion, whether it be a summer BBQ or a special event, this Key Lime Pie is a sure crowd-pleaser.
What makes Key Lime Pie different from regular lime pie?
Key Lime Pie is made with key limes, which are smaller and have a more intense, tangy flavor than regular limes. This gives the pie a unique and distinct taste that sets it apart from other lime pies.
Can I use regular limes instead of key limes for this recipe?
Yes, you can use regular limes instead of key limes for this recipe. The flavor will be slightly different and less tangy, but it will still be a delicious pie. Keep in mind that you may need to use more regular lime juice to achieve the same level of tartness as key lime juice.
Interesting facts about this recipe:
- The name “key lime” comes from the small, yellow fruit grown in the Florida Keys and is believed to be a hybrid of the Citrus aurantifolia and Citrus micrantha.
- The key lime pie was not considered a dessert, and it was often considered a breakfast dish as it was easy to prepare and a good source of calcium and Vitamin C.
- Key Lime Pie officially declared the state pie of Florida in 2006.
More Dessert Recipes
- Blueberry Gelato
- Nutella Tart
- Bavarian Cream Donuts
Key Lime PiePrepare a delightfully great and refreshing dessertfor your family… This favorite key lime pie is made with 2 flour crust and afilling of key lime, egg yolks, unsweetened coconut and coconut milk.
- ½ `cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour sifted
- ¼ cup granulated Erythritol
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 organic eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup granulated Erythritol
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp guar gum
- ¼ tsp powdered stevia
- 3 organic egg yolks
- ½ cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 tbsp unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 cup whipped cream
- ½ key lime cut ino slices
- Preheat your oven to 400 0F.
- For crust: add all ingredients in a bowl and mix until wellcombined.
- With your hands, knead the dough for about 1 minute.
- Make a ball from the dough.
- Arrange the dough ball between 2 sheets of wax paper and with arolling pin, roll into a ⅛-inch thick circle.
- In a 9-inch pie dish, place the dough and with your hands,press in the bottom and up sides.
- Now, with a fork, prick the bottom and sides of the crust atmany places.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the crust onto a wire rack to cool.
- Now, set the temperature of oven to 350 0F.
- For filling: in a food processor, add the coconut milk,Erythritol, heavy cream, xanthan gum, guar gum and stevia and pulse until wellcombined.
- Add the egg yolks and lime juice and pulse until well combined.
- Place the filling mixture over the crust and with the back of aspoon, spread evenly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pie dish onto a wire rack tocool for about 10 minutes.
- Now, freeze the pie for about 3-4 hours before serving.
- Remove from the freezer and garnish the pie with the whippedcream and lemon slices.
- Cut into desired-sized slices and serve.
Notesmake sure to use fresh key limes.
NutritionCalories: 183kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 4gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 78mgPotassium: 59mgFiber: 4gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 225IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 33mgIron: 1mgTried this recipe?Please rate the recipe and leave a comment below 🙂