Have you ever been curious about the mysterious green tea-flavored ice cream that has become so popular in recent years? Chances are, this delicious treat is none other than matcha ice cream! Many people of all ages have fallen in love with its deliciously unique flavor that pairs perfectly with a variety of desserts. Not only is matcha an intriguing ingredient to explore, but it’s also full of numerous health benefits.
In this blog post, we’ll dive into the easy recipe for matcha ice cream so that you guys can make it at home and enjoy the healthier version without any preservatives.
What Ingredients Go into Matcha Ice Cream?
Matcha, an earthy, grassy green tea powder, is used to make green tea ice cream, a Japanese dessert. The popular dish marries the savory flavor of matcha with the sweetness of chilled cream. You can easily find matcha powder in most grocery stores in the tea aisle.
How Does Matcha Ice Cream Taste?
This refreshing treat brings you earthy, sweet, and slightly bitter flavors. Because matcha is much more concentrated than regular green tea, you don’t need much to enjoy its full flavor profile.
Is Matcha Ice Cream Good for You?
Matcha, or green tea powder, is high in antioxidants and provides calm alertness, making it an excellent substitute for common ice cream. However, the extra sugar in store-bought matcha ice creams negates the superfood’s nutritional benefits.
How Should I Store Homemade Matcha Ice Cream?
We recommend freezing the mixture in a freezer-safe container with a tight-fitting lid or in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. This method of storing ice cream will keep it in the freezer for up to two weeks.
More Dessert Recipes
Matcha Ice Cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1½ cup milk
- ¾ cup garnulated sugar
- 5 tsp matca powder
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- Refrigeratethe bowl of an ice cream maker overnight.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the egg yolks,milk and sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Place the pan of milk mixture over mediumheat and cook until simmering, whisking continuously.
- Remove the pan of milk mixture from the heat.
- In a small bowl, add the matcha powder and 3-4tablespoons of hot milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the matcha paste into the remaining hotmilk mixture and stir to blend.
- Through a fine-mesh sieve, strain the mixtureinto a large bowl.
- Place the mixture into the chilled bowl of anice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Now, transferthe ice cream into an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours beforeserving.