If you’re like most people, the first thing that comes to mind when you hear “mayonnaise cake” is probably confusion. After all, what does mayonnaise have to do with cake? Why would anyone want to put mayo on a cake? Luckily, we’re here to provide some answers.
Whether searching for a novel way to prepare the traditional chocolate cake or just trying something new out of curiosity, mayonnaise cake is worth trying! The combination of eggs and mayo creates an amazingly moist texture and delicious flavor that will leave everyone asking for seconds (and thirds!). And since it’s so simple to make and customizable with mix-ins like nuts and dried fruit, this versatile recipe has something for everyone! So go ahead—give it a try today.
What Exactly Is Mayonnaise Cake?
Mayonnaise cake is a classic recipe from the 1940s and 1950s that combines eggs, sugar, flour, chocolate chips (optional), and—you guessed it—mayonnaise. It’s surprisingly delicious, with a moist texture and rich flavor. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make.
Do I Have To Use Real Mayonnaise?
The short answer is yes. You need real mayo for this recipe because it contains oils that are essential for making the cake moist and flavorful. If you don’t have real mayo on hand or prefer not to use it in your baking, other options are available, such as vegan mayo or Greek yogurt-based “mayo.” However, these alternatives won’t give you the same results as real mayonnaise—so keep that in mind.
Can I Make Other Variations In This Recipe?
Yes! Feel free to add your favorite mix-ins such as nuts, dried fruit, or even peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips if desired. Add almond or vanilla extract for an extra flavor boost to experiment with various flavors. Additionally, you can use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour if desired. Lastly, adjust the amount of sugar used depending on how sweet you want your cake to be.
More Dessert Recipes
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray Measure tha cake ingredients properly.
- 1½ cup granulated suga
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Generously grease a Bundt pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, addthe sugar and mayonnaiseand with ahand-held electric mixer,beat on low speed until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extractand beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture alternating with milk and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Place the mixture into the prepared cake panevenly.
- Bake for about 42-47 minutes.
- Remove the cake pan from oven and place ontoa wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Then invert the cake onto the wire rack tocool completely.
- Cut the cake into desired-sized slices and serve.