One of the most popular desserts worldwide is sweet potato pie. Whether you’re making it for Thanksgiving dinner or just because you crave something sweet, this comprehensive guide should give you all the information you need to create your own delicious sweet potato pie. In the South, it is a traditional dessert with a delicious, creamy filling and a flaky crust. It’s an all-time favorite for holiday dinners, family gatherings, and potlucks. But it may not be very comforting if you’ve never done it. This comprehensive guide was created to address some of the most frequently asked questions about sweet potato pie and provide the best recipe.
Why Should You Try This Recipe?
Sweet Potato Pie is a favorite of many, so you should try it. This classic Southern dessert is not only delicious but super easy to make. Sweet potatoes contain a wealth of nutrients that are good for your health and taste great in this recipe. This dish’s cinnamon and nutmeg flavors add a delightful taste and aroma. In addition, they provide additional texture that helps bring out the flavor of the sweet potatoes even more. So, why not give Sweet Potato Pie a try? You won’t regret it.
What Makes Sweet Potato Pie Different from Pumpkin Pie?
The main difference between sweet potato and pumpkin pie is their flavor profiles. Sweet potato pie has a more caramelized flavor thanks to the added sugars, while pumpkin pies tend to be more savory due to their added spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Texture-wise, sweet potato pies are usually creamier than pumpkin pies because of their higher fat content from butter or heavy cream.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Pie?
Yes! To freeze your sweet potato pie, let it cool completely after baking, then place it in the freezer for up to six months after tightly wrapping it in plastic wrap and then foil. When you’re ready to serve it again, you should defrost it overnight in the refrigerator before being warmed up for 15 minutes or so in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
More Dessert Recipes
Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 lb sweet potato
- ½ cup margarine softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground netmug
- 1(9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- Preheat youroven to 350 °F.
- In alarge-sized saucepan of boiling water, place the sweet potato and cook forabout 45-50 minutes.
- Drain the sweetpotato completely and immediately and rinse under cold running water.
- Then peel thesweet potatoes and chop them roughly.
- In a large-sized bowl, add the sweet potato chunks and margarine and with anelectric mixer, mix well.
- Add the sugar,eggs, milk, both extracts and spices and beat on medium setting until wellblended and smooth.
- Arrange the pieshell into a pie dish.
- Place thefilling mixture over pie shell evenly.
- Bake forapproximately 55-60 minutes.
- Remove the piedish from oven and place onto a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.
- Cut into desired-sized slices and serve.