This Tofu in Orange Sauce from the Air Fryer tastes precisely like your preferred Chinese takeout! Drenched in a sticky, sweet orange sauce, tender on the inside, crunchy on the outside!
If you thought the air fryer was just a fad, think again. This small yet valuable kitchen device will stay around for a long time. And if you’re wondering whether an air fryer is worth it if you’re a vegan, this recipe of Air Fryer Tofu in Orange Sauce will persuade you.
Tofu cooked in an air fryer is crispy and delicious, but top it with this delicious orange sauce, and you’ve got a meal that even the pickiest diners will love.
Why You Will Enjoy This Recipe?
- It’s simple to prepare; everything takes less than 30 minutes.
- This recipe is completely adaptable and may be done with baked tofu and vegetables (sauté).
- It is a delicious, vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, and gluten-free meal.
- It’s much healthier than takeout because it’s oil-free and contains no processed sugar. It’s also jam-packed with flavors, sweet, spicy, and acidic.
Essential Tips & Tricks:
- Tasting and adjusting the flavor. Taste the sauce once it’s finished (and chilled a little) to determine whether you need to add extra sweetness or liquid aminos. Because orange juice varies in sweetness, it’s common to adjust the sauce a little.
- Tofu should be pressed. It’s easier for the tofu to absorb the flavors you add if you press it beforehand. It will also be crispier when cooked.
- Do not overcrowd it. Tofu that is overcrowded will not crisp up.
How to Store It?
You can keep them refrigerated for up to three days in a sealed container. Do not freeze for the best results.
How to Serve It?
It can be served over rice, noodles, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or any other grain. I also like to prepare meal prep orange tofu bowls with cucumber, grains, steamed broccoli or spinach, and cashews or sesame seeds for decoration.
More Vegetable Recipes
Air Fryer Beans & Veggie Burgers
Air Fryer Tofu in Orange Sauce
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu pressed and cubed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes crushed
- as required ground black pepper
- In a bowl, add the tofu, cornstarch, and soy sauce and toss to coat well.
- Set the tofu aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Grease the Air Fryer Basket with cooking spray and then slide inside.
- Adjust the temperature of Air Fryer to 390 °F to preheat for 5 minutes.
- After preheating, arrange the tofu cubes into the greased Air Fryer Basket in a single layer.
- Slide the basket into Air Fryer and set the time for 10 minutes.
- While cooking, flip the tofu cubes once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce: in a small pan, add all ingredients over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the sauce into a large-sized bowl.
- After cooking time is finished, remove the tofu cubes from Air Fryer.
- Transfer the tofu cubes into the bowl with the sauce and gently stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply