Ahhh, the classic vanilla pound cake. It is a timeless and beloved favorite amongst many households – especially homemade! There’s nothing quite like waking up to the delightfully sweet smell of a freshly baked dessert filled with nostalgic goodness wafting through your home.
Whether you celebrate birthdays or special occasions, opt for it as an after-dinner treat at Sunday dinners, enjoy it as an afternoon snack with tea; this classic vanilla pound cake has got you covered! Join us on our scrumptious journey of indulging in what could easily become your new favorite recipe for dreamy success.
Why is It Called a Pound Cake?
Pound cake gets its name from how it’s made: the original recipe called for one pound of each of flour, sugar, butter, and eggs.
How Do You Keep A Pound Cake Moist?
It’s best to store a pound cake at room temperature with an airtight cover. Refrigerating a pound cake increases its shelf life but distorts its fresh texture and flavor. If you keep it at room temperature, a typical pound cake will stay fresh and delicious for about 4-5 days.
What Else Can I Add in Pound Cake?
Pound cake is adaptive. You can easily add variety of ingredients toit, such as
- Chocolate Chips
- Pecans with A Maple Glaze
- Orange Zest
- Cream Cheese
Things to Consider While Making Vanilla Pound Cake
- Dustthe cake with powdered sugar or drizzle with glaze once it is completely cool.
- Allow your ingredients to come to room temperature. This is an important part of the pound cake recipe, so be patient.
- Wait until the butter and sugar are light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, to ensure enough air has been incorporated.
- Make sure not to over-mix the dough at the end, or the cake will be too dense.
- Allow the cake to cool halfway, at least 10 minutes, before removing it from the pan and allowing it to come to room temperature.
More Dessert Recipes
Vanilla Pound Cake
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Grease an 8×4 inch loaf panpan with cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper and then dust with a little flour.
- In a bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt and with a wire whisk, mix well.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and butter and with a hand-held electric mixer,beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat on low speed untilwell combined.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Place the mixture into the prepared pan evenly.
- Bake for about 60 minutes.
- Remove the cake pan from oven and place onto the wire racks to cool for about 10minutes.
- Now, invert the cake onto the wire rack tocool completely before slicing.
- Cut the cake into desired-sized slices andserve.